Life is short they say so every fun moment is worth capturing. With drone cameras, you can now capture all in video and photo whether on the ground or in the air. Electronic companies have flooded the market with all manner of drones to help you with this. We understand how difficult it can be to choose one from among the many. So we take the trouble to sample for you the 10 ten best drone cameras of 2019.
Table of Contents
- 10. 3d Robotics Iris+ – Another Cheap Drone with Changeable Camera
- 9. c – Cheap in Price, Good in Performance
- 8. Parrot AR. Drone 2.0 – A Toy RC Drone, Yet Awesome!
- 7. 3D Robotics Solo – The Best drone for the Money
- 6. Yuneec Q500 4K – Smooth and Stable Flight but missing Waypoint Navigation
- 5. DJI Phantom 3 (PROFESSIONAL) – One of the Best Aerial Videography Quadcopter
- 4. DJI Inspire 1 – Professional yet Expensive – Professional yet Expensive
- 3. DJI Phantom 4 – Best Professional Drone in this List
- 2. GoPro Karma – Another Legendary Drone from GoPro
- 1. DJI Mavic Pro – Best Portable Drone (Casey Neistat’s Favourite)
10. 3d Robotics Iris+ – Another Cheap Drone with Changeable Camera
People often ask what is in a name. Well with 3d Robotics Iris+ you get more than what is in a name. Do not be tempted to dismiss it simply because it is cheap because when you take a keen look you get to notice feature like the integrated LED on its arms. This gives directional awareness. Also, it has a Payload capacity of 400g (.8 lbs) which is not bad for its price. It can stand somewhere between 16-22 minutes of flight and you can receive data instantly as it flies with its remote controller which comes with on-screen telemetry. You have everything you need. After you prop the parts, charge your battery, you will be all ready to fly.
- Cameras are changeable
- Great features at an affordable price
- Simple and easy to use
- Its positioning is stable
- The flight time is quite short
- The build is not attractive
9. c – Cheap in Price, Good in Performance
This is another in the series of drones that come at affordable price. Take not that it has a close resemblance to the DJI Phantom series of drones although you can tell the difference between the two by the red accents on Cheerson Hobby CX-20 Professional. From the onset, the name suggests a strong inclination to the hobbyists. The fact that it is not shipped together with a camera is not a setback at all. This is because it comes with a mount that only requires you to attach a Go pro and get ready to fly and take images. The drone camera gives you up to 15 minutes of flight time and has a flight battery included.
Cheerson is also much more stable and easy to control since it is fitted with a 6-axis gyro. This, together with a vision positioning system guarantees that the device takes stable flights while indoors. Moreover, the Auto Pathfinder ensures that it lands safely even when the communication between the MX controller and the transmitter is disconnected. What’s more? It has a flight speed of up to 10m/s and with its intelligent orientation Control, its stability is guaranteed. Your multi-rotor is protected from crushing by the low voltage protection.
- Mounted cameras are changeable
- Has premium features such as Path Finder, Positioning System, and Return to Home Features
- Its competitively priced
- The battery takes a long time to get fully charged
- Its spares are not readily available in the market
- like most drones Its battery life is short
8. Parrot AR. Drone 2.0 – A Toy RC Drone, Yet Awesome!
This drone is designed quite differently from most drones you may have seen. To begin with its size does not match most drones. It is way smaller. Its design language is rather held back unlike most drones which have an all-out design language. It bears so much resemblance to a flying saucer and as for its price you need not worry having in mind that it is not exactly made for professional photography or film making but as you will find out, it is still just as good.
For starters, it allows you to stream and/or record 720 pixels HD video to your smartphone during flight. Additionally you have the option of sharing pictures and videos from your device, which by the way you can always update to meet the requirements for FAA. It also comes with a free flight piloting application. Lest we forget to mention, you can use your android smartphone or tablet to run its remote control quadricopter which is controlled by iOS.
- It has applications supported by android smartphones
- Its camera has fun options
- Ease of operation
- Battery life is short
- It is difficult to use without a smartphone
7. 3D Robotics Solo – The Best drone for the Money
For a long time, these kinds of articles have always revolved around big names in the industry like DJI and Go pro. As you may have noticed, we are rewriting the narrative by paying some attention to other brands that have not been rightfully recognized in a while. 3D Robotics Solo makes it to the list right about now and while I know you may not find its name interesting; do not be fooled by that. For every dollar you spend on this pone, you get value and more value. Firstly, solo has a controller that is more of video game-styled.
For amateurs, you want to look out for this. It doesn’t matter if you have never flown, it feels familiar the moment you get started. Copter and camera are delivered right into your fingerprints. Moreover, with the touch of a single button, you get to take off, land or stop flight midair. It comes with a HDMI port so you can connect it to any screen. Its iOS enabled so you can control using Android smartphone or tablet.
- Supported by iOS application
- It is Gimbal supported
- Sleek design
- It is affordable
- Its GPS is rather slow
- Short battery life
- Battery Life isn’t that good
On our journey as we seek to change the narrative of drone cameras, we encounter the Yuneec Q500 4K. Many may have tried to describe this drone any other way. My take is it is simply super beautiful. Was it made as a competition for DJI drone? Your guess is only as good as mine. But what is undeniable is; it has been a serious contender for the top position when it comes to drone cameras. For those of you who are not in the habit of loving white, it might please you to know that it also comes in black. Yes it comes in a stylish casing that you could say is oddly large but just what is in it? It comes with a top of the line camera that captures 4k videos and also takes videos at 12 megapixels.
The camera also has a distortion free lens that captures amazing stills in flight. The control gives the user first person view and also enables flyers the option of camera control from right there. The camera is shipped together with two spare batteries
- It is easy to use and control
- It comes with 4k Video Recording
- Strong and durable
- 4k Video Recording
- It is incompatible with Waypoint Navigation
- Its charging period is quite long
- Gives videos with a blur at the edges
- Video quality is not good
5. DJI Phantom 3 (PROFESSIONAL) – One of the Best Aerial Videography Quadcopter
I know you have been waiting for the moment when we will talk big names in the industry. Let us face it. This list would not be complete without drones from DJI and the first from this series of cameras is DJI Phantom 3.those in the know will agree that DJI products are sort of gold standard when it comes to drones and Phantom 3 is not any different. From professionals to Youtubers to Film makers, Phantom 3 is a reliable partner. DJI phantom 3 is shipped with a top of the line camera which takes 4k videos of supreme quality and absolute clarity.
It has a vision positioning system which allows stable and undisturbed indoor flights. With DJI phantom 3 you can stream 720 pixels HD videos on the internet while recording and storing the full size video internally. This is enabled by the Lightbridge digital streaming. Additionally, you can control the camera from your smartphone since it comes with an iOS enabled application that also allows users to view your recordings live from the phone.
- It gives a live view feed
- Has stability while airborne
- Flight mode and return-to-home functions are automated
- Has 4k video recording
- Battery life is not very long
- Quite expensive
4. DJI Inspire 1 – Professional yet Expensive – Professional yet Expensive
Here comes another one from DJI, the makers of some of the best drones in the market today. With DJI Inspire 1 you van chose to use it to use it with two controllers or one. Since it’s a product of DJI, of course you expect that it has 4k video recording. If you are into videography for experimental purposes and love to take videos of high quality that give you sharp images, defined details and distinct colors, this is the real deal for you. 4. DJI Inspire 1 can take on Phantom 4 any time of day or night. It comes at a premium which is okay since it is undoubtedly one of the best ever made drones of our time.
- Camera is removable
- Quality of build is good
- Comes with advanced options such as “intelligent flight”
- Has 4k video camera
- The drone is expensive
- Android application is not as good
- Battery life is not long
- Additional batteries are quite expensive
3. DJI Phantom 4 – Best Professional Drone in this List
When we talk of products from DJI, you know that we are talking about legends in the industry. Perhaps the only logical explanation we can give as to why DJI Phantom 4 is not at the top of this list is because it is rather bulky and huge which makes it less portable. Otherwise, it is a serious contender for the top position. If you need proof that this is one of the very best drones, Casey Neistat, a popular professional film maker has seven of these; Google him. If you still need more reason to convince you to purchase this drone, take a look at its particulars. Turn your flying into great fun moments with Go pro Passenger an App that enables your friends to view your drone fly and control it as they wish.
Here is the deal with DJI Phantom 4; it has the capability to take off and land on its own by utilizing the GPS technology. It comes with a top of the range camera that supports up to 12 megapixels I photo resolutions and can record videos in 4k and at 30 fps. If you are looking for a camera that gives clear pictures with distinct details, we suggest to you the Phantom 4 which has an amazing f/2.8 lens offering a wider field of view. It is also gimbal stabilization technology enabled making it extremely stable so you can capture clear footages even at top speed. Also in the package is an in built video editor that allows you to add text, music and many more as you wish.
- It is able to avoid obstacles
- Of the DJI series is the most professional
- Can record slow motion videos
- Quite bulky not easily portable
- Its accessories are expensive
2. GoPro Karma – Another Legendary Drone from GoPro
Go pro is another legend in the manufacturing of drones. It is no wonder that Go pro cameras have ruled the market of active cameras for a long while. You can carry Go pro cameras to anywhere and mount them on anything you wish. With ability to record 4k videos there is not a single drone that can edge out this one from this position. Its wings completely fold into its body making it pack into a small and convenient shape which also makes it extremely portable. This is the most serious challenger of DJI Mavic pro and though it is largely based on the former prototype version, its abilities are immense and its prowess not any less. Again just like DJI Mavic pro, karma is extremely portable and folds into a small shape.
Karma is also very easy to learn how to operate since its control schemes are easy to understand making it a top choice for newcomers and experienced flyers alike. Of course it comes with a built in camera but additionally, it also operates with a variety of Go pro cameras such as Hero 4, Hero Session and Hero 5 Black.
- Very portable
- The controller has an in-built display
- Shipped with a handheld stabilizer
- Lacks a downward positioning sensor
- It lacks feature for obstacle avoidance
- Battery life is short( not more than 18-22 minutes)
1. DJI Mavic Pro – Best Portable Drone (Casey Neistat’s Favourite)
Today, we crown DJI Mavic Pro the king of drones. Undoubtedly, it deserves this prestigious position. The fact that Casey Neistat himself recommends this as one the best drone is a major statement. Dà-Jiāng Innovations widely known for their Phantom series of products in addition to brands like inspire has committed itself to producing some of the best products in the industry. DJI has something for everyone; for experienced flyers and amateurs alike.
Mavic Pro can easily fit into your pocket; it is compact and folds into approximately the size of a water bottle. Moreover it can fly at a super speed of up to 64km/hr. thanks to its OcuSync transmission system which confers the drone up to 7km of transmission range. The drone is gimbal enabled and camera has a resolution of 12 pixels. With Mavic pro you get to fly longer given its maximum flight time is 27minutes.
- Easy to control indoors and outdoors as well
- Very potable
- Professional yet affordable
- Has 4k video recording
- Battery life is quite long at 23 minutes
- Control requires a smartphone
- It gets destabilized by strong winds
You may have realized that the major challenge with drone cameras is the battery life. Most of them don’t last long so even as you go shopping be ready to deal with that. We hope that the in future we have manufacturers coming up with drones that can fly longer than 30 minutes. Otherwise we are hopeful that our endeavors to shortlist the best drone cameras of 2019 has made you better informed and in a better position to make a good purchase. Look out for more from this section and feel free to let us know if there is anything we might have missed.