A motorcycle helmet is the most important motorcycle that every rider should have. It is a lifesaver in case of a crash or an accident. It is therefore critical to get the best motorcycle helmet which may cost a little more bucks. As much as price isn’t a major consideration, we are in recession here, it wouldn’t hurt to save a few bucks! I set out to find the best motorcycle helmet so that next time you take a ride; you will have something comfortable while at the same time being save.
To get the best, I put into consideration the following factors that I considered that a helmet should have.
Table of Contents
- What about used helmets?
- 10. Shoei Solid Qwest Street Bike Motorcycle Helmet
- 9. HJC Solid Men’s CL-17 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 8. BILT TECHNO Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 7. Motorcycle /Snowmobile Matte Black Dual Black Dual Visor Modular Helmet Dot
- 6. Bell Rogue Open Face Harley Cruiser Motorcycle Helmet
- 5. Bell Solid Adult Qualifier Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet
- 4. Vega X888 Full Face Helmet
- 3. Duke Helmets DK-120 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 2. GMAX GM54S Modular Men’s On-Road Motorcycle Helmet
- 1. Istorm Motorcycles Street Bike Helmet
These factors are:
1. Tested and Certified-A helmet can be extra comfortable, stylish, a perfect fit, but if it cannot do its job of protecting you in case of an accident, then it is not worth buying. To ensure that a helmet can protect in case of the unthinkable happening, it must be thoroughly tested and certified. Look for “DOT Certified”, Snell Approved or ECE 22.05 certifications. Never buy a helmet that does not have these qualifications.
2. Type of rider- A long distance or off-road riders are at a higher risk. If you are one, you should get a full face helmet for maximum protection. A half helmet is a good choice for short distance and occasional riders.
3.Fit and comfort- If you will on a motorcycle for long periods, then finding a helmet that fits you and is comfortable is of great importance to you. You can consult a sizing chart to get a fitting helmet.
4.Visibility- A good helmet should have good visibility. A Plexiglas on most helmets protects your eyes from wind and debris. If you consider buying an open faced helmet, you may want to get accessories such goggles. If you get a helmet that offer UV protection, anti-scratch, and anti-fogging, that is a bonus.
5.Ventilation- if you live in a warm environment, a good ventilation can mean all the difference in a helmet. I once wore a helmet with poor ventilation in Texas, at the end of the day I felt I was going to collapse. Extra vents generate more noise but it is a worthwhile trade-off.
6.Design and Aesthetics-Getting a helmet that is comfortable and save does not mean that you can’t be stylish. Everyone has unique tastes, and helmets are no different, you can choose a helmet that best complements your personality.
7.Additional Accessories- Many helmets in this list are equipped with a microphone and a speaker system that allows to listen to music, take calls and even receive GPS instructions while riding.
8.Pricing-There are motorcycle helmets that cost more than you are willing to spend. Customized graphics, limited editions and tons of other features can make a helmet to cost more. But the ultimate question you should ask yourself is; Is this helmet worth my money? I am sure you can get a helmet that is of high quality, comfortable and save that is within your budget.
What about used helmets?
This a question that many people ask. It is a great way to save money but I would not recommend. A used helmet might have hidden damages and these can be the difference between life and death. It is advisable to change your helmet once in every 5 years but I recommend replacing it once there is noticeable damage on it.
I compared different helmets against the above list and narrowed it down to these Best Motorcycle Helmets of 2017 that I considered safest and meets your specific needs. These helmets are:
10. Shoei Solid Qwest Street Bike Motorcycle Helmet
SHOEI QWEST embraces modern technology to minimize wind noise that is common problem with most of the helmets. This helmet offers comfort to long distance riders. It also features unconventional ventilation system. The helmet is lightweight due to high quality materials used to manufacture it.
- Efficient noise reduction technology is employed while designing.
- Proficient ventilation.
- Interior comfort structure.
- Double-walled EPS liners.
- It is relatively expensive.
9. HJC Solid Men’s CL-17 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
HJC Helmet is of high quality made from durable materials including poly carbonate. CAD technology that is incorporated in designing this helmet ensures maximum comfort. It is relatively expensive but lightweight. Additionally, it well designed to protect from strong winds and sun rays. Its improved ventilation system having its vent located strategically for smooth air flow in and out.
- It meets DOT and SHELL standards.
- Well cushioned interiors
- Quite expensive.
8. BILT TECHNO Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
This helmet features integrated Bluetooth coordination that connects music, various intercoms and mobile calls wireless from one rider to the passenger. Additionally, the helmet has got volume control on its peripheral side. Has got internal flip-down shade that protects against strong sun rays. Also this shade is flexible as its position can be adjusted depending on the direction of rays. The aerodynamic design overcomes the strong winds.
- It is very attractive.
- Very comfortable.
- Convenient sun shade.
- Various Bluetooth aptitudes.
- Fine-tuning volume is moderately subtle.
- Louder wind noise.
7. Motorcycle /Snowmobile Matte Black Dual Black Dual Visor Modular Helmet Dot
This helmets are perfect for cold environmental conditions. It is well insulated to maintain internal temperature keeping the user warm while riding ensuring maximum comfort. It features face protector, visors and respective control adjustments. The helmet is very versatile as it can be used in warm areas due to sufficient ventilation. Has got detachable chin guard that facilitates cool air flowing into the Helmet.
- Efficient padding for cushioning against friction.
- Efficient ventilation and insulations.
- Has got chin guard.
- Air leakages.
- Louder wind noise.
6. Bell Rogue Open Face Harley Cruiser Motorcycle Helmet
This product has got several vital features. It features include removable interior, muzzles among others. It is lightweight for comfort while riding. Availability of FidLock magnetic joining allows putting on and off easily. Has got in-built speakers compartments for entertainment. This helmet has got 5-year warranty on purchase. Furthermore, Stainless D-Rings and badges increases its durability. The helmet covers entire face offering full protection.
- It is lightweight.
- It meets the Dot standards of manufacture.
- Has got multiple shell and EPS sizes.
- In-built speaker’s compartments.
- Warranty period is short
5. Bell Solid Adult Qualifier Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet
This product made by Bell companies and is of great quality. The helmet is made of strong, durable material making the helmet lasts longer. It covers full face offering maximum protection. It has vents for free circulation of air at the sides and top. At the front, it has clearer perfect field of vision for fitting transistor visors. This helmets available in variety of colors so that you can match with your motorcycle.
- Has got appealing outlook.
- Compatible transistors visors are available.
- Presence of in-built speakers for entertainment while riding.
- It is durable.
- It creates high wind noise.
4. Vega X888 Full Face Helmet
Price and quality are of great concern while purchasing the helmet. This helmet is very comfortable and available in the market at affordable price. It is justly aerodynamic having vents system that allows free circulation. It is waterproofed shielding from rains. Has got versatile visors to clear misty. This allows comfortable ridding irregardless of the environmental conditions. The interior part is made of absorbent that get rid of sweat. It is made of bio-materials that are anti-microbial offering efficient protection against pathogens.
- Adjustable vents
- The helmet meets DOT standards.
- Internal seams are weak.
3. Duke Helmets DK-120 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
Most of the users have responded positively about this helmet. It is constructed meeting Dot standards. Offers maximum protection in case of accidents. The product is very comfortable due to its lightweight nature. It is available at affordable price that do not strain one’s income. Its aerodynamic shell is made of poly-alloy. This makes it high quality. Has got various multiple ventilation areas including chin, forehead and sides.
- Has got clearer out finish.
- UV protection visor.
- Awesome padding.
- Its liners are not properly sewn on.
- Obscene odor after prolonged use.
2. GMAX GM54S Modular Men’s On-Road Motorcycle Helmet
This product is very unique featuring most of the functional parts that helmets should have. It has push-to-open jaw appliance. Advanced air and noise shield is also available for more stability. Rotating flip-jaw improves line of sight and reduces users strain by distributing the weight across the helmet uniformly. If features chin vents that directs air upwards eradicating fogging inside the helmet.
- It includes Rear brake kit.
- Proper ventilation.
- It is not readily available in the market.
1. Istorm Motorcycles Street Bike Helmet
This helmet takes the first position due to its affordability and durability. It is well constructed to last for years. The interior side is padded to cushion the user. It has face protector for safety in case of accidents. The interior shades shield you from strong sun rays and wind. It also features visor that improves visibility especially during fogs. Visors and shades are substitute based on the requirements of the users.
- It is affordable
- Has got ergonomic design.
- Very convenient to use due to presence of shades, face protectors and visors.
- Made from slightly Low quality materials
- Small in comparison with other helmets.